Entertainment and Recreation
The first building on this site was the Northampton National Bank which was built in 1873. In 1910 the bank was turned into a theatre. During the next 70 years the theatre endured many renovations to keep up with the changing times. In the 1980's the "Friends of the State Theatre" group was formed in order to preserve this historic building.
Alvin H. Butz, Inc. became involved in 1987 during the first renaissance campaign. Renovations included upgrading the stage (a state-of-the-art gridiron) and new lighting controls. Fire and smoke alarms, exits and lights and bathroom facilities were added.
In 1990 a second phase of the renaissance campaign included restoration of all seats, installation of new carpeting and the construction of openings and stairways to connect the theatre with the neighboring Best Market building which was acquired by the Theatre. An artistic restoration of the ceilings and walls was also completed.
Since then, Butz has performed many renovations to help keep the State Theatre a viable center for the arts.
|© Butz Enterprises, Inc. Web Site Design by Active Data Exchange|